Friday, March 25, 2011

my childhood illustrated

As I sit here, basking in the sunshine of an early spring morning in the gleaming Emerald City, reading magical tales from many lands and feasting on its illustrations, I reminisce about the fantastical depictors of my favorite story tale pastimes that captured my heart and eye since and while I was a child. Let me share with you my favorite illustrators that contributed to my love of its story. I certainly will raise my children on these visual and story delights.

The whimsical Quentin Blake, illustrating for Roald Dahl’s Matilda, The BFG, and his other mad stories.


[The BFG]

[Matilda]

Garth Williams, illustrating for E. B. White in Charlotte’s Web (as well as Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Little House Series and many Golden Books)

Is this not how we remember Charlotte, Wilbur, Fern, and the other barnyard friends?

[Charlotte's Web]

And lastly but certainly not the leastly…

Pauline Baynes who took my hand and helped me remember moments of C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia like the meeting of Lucy and Mr. Tumnus, the bouncing dufflepuds on the island of Coriakin, and where we first find Puddleglum the marshwiggle.

[The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe]

[The Voyage of the Dawn Treader]

[The Silver Chair]


My imagination will indeed carry on, but many of these images will remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment